Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Be the Change: McKae Joyner

My project was the Cultural Music Event and I worked mainly with my amazing volunteer, Grace Cuizon, another IPB student. The purpose of our project was to bring students together from all different walks of life and help us find common ground through music. One thing that got me interested in a project like this was the recent awareness of self-segregation on campus. I noticed that in classrooms, the cafe, and even in church meetings we tend to sit and associate mainly with those of our own culture or background, manly because that is where we feel the most comfortable. We wanted to create an atmosphere where we could find a means to link us all together no matter where we're from or what we look like.

We contacted the cultural clubs here on campus to see if they would be interested in having representative(s) participate in performing a song that either displays a little bit about their culture or one that reminds them of home. The clubs had a few weeks to put together their performance. We were fortunate to have about 15 groups from all over the world participate. We had a plethora of musical numbers of various types ranging from a Korean choir to a Tahitian beat boxer. Even our very own, David Whippy, a Fijian rapper participated in the event. 

Coordinting all the different aspects of the event was a big endevor but was pulled off with barely a hitch due to all the help we had. It turned out to be quite a success with over 200 students, faculty, and community members present.

I've enjoyed this project immensely, through it I have gained a greater understanding of all that goes into running events here at BYU-Hawaii, I also want to convey huge love and respect for all those who were able to lend a hand or even a kind word in order to further the project. But, most of all, I am grateful for the friendships made through this process and I know they will be ones I hold dear throughout my life.





No comments:

Post a Comment